Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Sunny clear and autumnal. Calm.

Down to Boulmer for an hour before work, 06.40 -07.40. The sun glare on the sea was a blocker but generally there wasn't a lot moving.

Sooty Shearwater 8 N
Manx Shearwater 7 N
Pale bellied Brent Geese 30 N ( 13, 11 and 6 )
Bonxie 2 N
Common Scoter 10 N
Red throated Diver 1 N

As I got in the car for the drive home from work at 5.30 I thought I'd better check the pager that had been languishing in the car all day. A missed MEGA alert had me intrigued until I saw that it was a Little Shearwater N past Whitburn at - 5.08pm!!

Don't panic! How long from Whitburn to Newbiggin? Half an hour maybe as the macronesian flies, gives me 8 minutes to get to the Church Point 3 miles away. Foot down and don't spare the horses. As I run up to the expectant crowd seawatching on the point having an attack incase someone turns around to say ' should have been here 3 minutes ago', but no, it has not arrived.

And nor did it. As is usual the black hole around the mouth of the Tyne had sucked our bird in never to be seen again. We've done this before here for Little Shearwater, more than once. They never make it to Newbiggin. What happens after Whitburn is a mystery, maybe they drift offshore, or get eaten by a Bonxie, who knows.

I waited 45 minutes before heading for home having had a couple each Manx and Sooty Shearwater and 10 Little Gulls in a flock flew N.

Better luck next time. And there will be a next time, I'm sure.

No comments: