Friday, September 21, 2007

Watercolour Challenge.



Black headed Gulls at Boulmer.


Dull and rainy this morning clearing to a nice sunny afternoon. Calm.

Had a couple of hours at Boulmer this afternoon painting with John Steele. It was good to get some proper tuition in how to use looser, more fluid techniques with the watercolours. Although my end result was hardly gallery standard, I was quite happy and feel that I can learn from my mistakes. This watercolour painting is quite a complicated process...

Out on the shore a second winter Mediterranean Gull was the first here this year, 59 Dunlin, 5 Bar tailed Godwits, 2 Knot and a Grey Plover.

While we sat on strategically placed boulders on the high tide mark, a movement in the stones caught my eye. As I glanced down, a tiny Pygmy Shrew was peering out from a pebble next to my rucksack! I have seen all three species of shrew on the high tide debris now. I think they must find rich pickings amongst the rotten weed etc.

134. Mediterranean Gull.

1 comment:

Julie Zickefoose said...

This is luverly!!!
More paintings!!
EAR Ennion is a huge favorite of mine, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog and helping with an ID.