Saturday, June 14, 2008

Plant Twitch...






Thanks to an email from Tim and Janet Dean midweek we took a trip out to Callaly, between Whittingham and Thropton. The mature beech woods grow along the road side just before Callaly from the Whittingham end and we soon found the spot near Owlet Hall where there were 6 Birds Nest Orchids. These are saprophytic plants ( they grow on the roots of others in this case probably Beech trees) and dont have any green colouring in them. They were very obvious growing right along the roadside but could be mistaken for a dead plant due to their off brown colouring...Other than that the only thing of note in this pleasant spot was a Redstart still in song...

6 comments:

abbey meadows said...

Nice shots Stewart. I'm hoping to get across to see them tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for the email.

Anonymous said...

Well I can't say they are stunning Orchids but very interesting, I have to get over and see for myself.
good to see Dragons are getting reported I had none begore I went away,lets hope for some calm sunny days.

oldcrow61 said...

Nice pictures. A very interesting looking Orchid.

Anonymous said...

Cheers Stewart, saw these today. a first or me.
regards BR

Kingsdowner said...

Coincidental title for the post!
It must be the weather, or lack of birds at the moment.

Great shot of the Birds-Nest Orchid, which does indeed look brown and finished - rather like the orchids that I found today, which really were.

Stewart said...

Cheers all.