Saturday, February 21, 2009

Another new moth...



Before going to 'work' this morning I found this moth on the Spar wall in Longhoughton. I didn't have a clue what it is, and, lets face it, its not the most inspiring insect you've seen, is it. A search of the guide didn't help me so I checked Keith Regans excellent website. On there, there is a search facility to see whats on the wing now, and I found the Dark Chestnut moth. Going back to the Waring, Townsend and Lewington Guide it does seem to be this species, though a dark individual. The shiny dark colour is a feature apparently. In Northumberland it is rare in the north and indeed may be unprecedented this far up having been recorded in Warkworth in 1974 and Acklington in 1983.

As I'm a moth novice, I have consulted some chaps with much more experience to see what they think. Watch this space.

This afternoon a Treecreeper was feeding for a while on our peanuts in the yard. I had never seen this until I saw one doing it at Insh, Speyside at the new year, but then the temperature was -6 and may be expected. Today was mild and spring like so I'm not sure why this bird has taken to hand outs?




It was there a good 20 minutes rooting around the feeder for scraps left by stronger birds...Have you seen this too? Let me know...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stewart,
I saw a treecreeper scratching about in the snow in my garden and picking up scraps from the bird table on 13/2/09.It's the first time I had ever seen it - it must be a hard weather/food shortage thing.

Stewart said...

Hi Mike, maybe this one is underweight after last weeks cold spell...nice to hear from you.

Ghost of Stringer said...

Hi Stewart

I think treecreeper is one of those species that seem to have started using peanut feeders in the last couple or three decades.... goldcrest and long tailed tits for example....maybe blackcap too ? Not sure it’s a common occurrence with creeper but like you I've seen it a couple of times too...

When I was a kid I never saw any of these species near my nuts !

Stewart said...

Gary, as a kid nowt went near my nuts either..fnarr fnarr...