Monday, November 16, 2009

Still Mothing!

Yesterday was a nice and pleasant day for the time of year. I see the 15th November as the first day of winter.

I was unable to go too far as I am still finishing off some college work for a course that almost cost me the Eastern Crowned Warbler, but a terrier still needs her walk so I did get some fresh air.

The Brambling was still in the garden, but the highlight came when I was chopping some wood for the fire. A Woodcock flew across the back field towards me and on east over the village. A nice garden tick that one, but to be expected here at this time of year eventually.

As the day was pleasant the Moth trap went on from 4.30pm to 10.30pm last night. I had a reasonable winter catch with -

Winter Moth 1
December Moth 4
November Moth 1 ( these moth names have a theme don't they....)
Silver Y 1 ( even that sounds cold)
Angle Shades 1 on nearby Ivy flowers.

8 moths of 5 species isn't too bad.

This morning over a thousand Pink footed Geese flew over our house in a SE direction. They were very low and looked like they had recently taken off. I wonder if they are birds from Druridge Bay on a feeding trip?

2 comments:

Emma Anderson said...

Thanks Stewart, for correcting the LBBG to GBBG!

Bennyboymothman said...

Good job on the Moths, numbers have really dropped off in my Garden lately.