Thursday, December 23, 2010

Catch up time...

The last two days have seen me 'net-less, mainly thanks to BT/ Yahoo!. Back in October this server became obsolete but I just persevered with it regardless. The other day it finally gave up the ghost leaving me as stranded as an Alnwick Christmas shopper. Its funny, but BT didnt make my bill obsolete...


Anyway, after days of tampering I'm now using Google Chrome as a browser. Its much quicker than the one I had.


So, back to the blogging.


As the snow has continued to fall and temperatures have stayed in the negative, I have stretched my Christmas holidays and am now off until 4th Jan.


Yesterday when I left the house to take Bunty for her morning walk I heard the distinctive call of a Peregrine.


Looking around there was no sign of the hunter so I pressed on to the coast road. As all of the landscape is pristine white I knew I had a canny chance of locating the Peregrine, but not as easily as I did. 


In the centre of our back field there she was, in a drift of pigeon feathers having breakfast. As I got to the coast path more calling, but this time quite agitated so I assumed a crow was trying to get his share of the kill. At the next convenient view point I was well pleased to see not the expected corvid, but two Peregrines sitting next to the food! After some debate as to who was the rightful owner, one bird flew up onto a fence post to watch while the other finished off.


I managed to get three of our non birding neighbours on to the birds, and they seemed quite pleased to get Peregrines on the doorstep...



4 comments:

Birding about Northumberland said...

Merry Christmas Stewart and thanks for all the tips and encouragement you have given me this past year, much appreciated and I really enjoy reading your blogs
All the best
Michelle

Emma Anderson said...

Merry Christmas, Stewart, and a Happy New Year with more great sightings for you, and those of us who take pleasure in reading your blogs.

I had the same trouble with BT Yahoo but I dumped them before they cut me off and changed to 'Fast' as my ISP. I'm going to look at Chrome in the New Year because I'm not too happy with IE8.

Warren Baker said...

As you probably know, I have two peregrines hunting over my patch at times Stewart, quite something to see when they interact like that. Happy holidays mate !

Stewart said...

Thanks all, Happy Christmas to you!