Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Doomed....

Broadband update. Last night's speed test revealed the dreadful truth - 117kbps. Dial-up is 45kbps.For those of you who, like me, aren't sure what that really means, other people in the village have a speed of 1145kbps and complain at how slow it is. At Alnwick you get 4500kbps.

BT Technical Ops rang this morning. Dominic. He was very polite. He said that there is a problem (no kidding), and since my speed test yesterday, my speed has dropped 45 times. He didnt have a clue where or what to do next.

This may finally finish off  blogging from Boulmer Birder. ..

25 days...tick,tock,tick,tock.

9 comments:

Dave said...

Ah the joys of a BT monopoly...

Tim Sexton said...

I often deal with BT on such issues. I will miss your blog :(

Warren Baker said...

Don't give in yet Stewart, bloody inept BT!!!

Stevie Evans said...

spent best part of today on phone to BT tech guys..... weve been sorted after weeks of problems - Good luck, hope we are reading from the notebook for a good while yet.....

Anonymous said...

Bad news on both counts, Stewart. Hope we don`t lose you.

Snapping Hound said...

Hi Stewart,
I assume they've sent at least one engineer and he's done a HAWK test then? Part of the problem BT maintained I had was the distance from the exchange - the HAWK test showed that wasn't so - Also I don't know if you know but they have different levels of engineer - The first one you see is not usually allowed to spend anymoe than 1hr on the prob so it needs to be escalated to another species who can so a bit more than test the wire - I've had a pair swaps (AKA Lift and Shifts), they've sent me two new routers (Still using the original one though), fitted an I-Plate, done a check at home, bell wire disconnected etc and still they don't know what the prob was - in fact they ended up doing a physical check on the bailer twine connecting me to the exchange (20+ joints in 100 yds..). since then it's been reasonably stable...
Good Luck
Cathie

Unknown said...

I only get half a meg at any time. cant watch i-player or play music. Utter crap! Downsidde of living out in the country.
Hope you get it sorted Stewart,

Adam Tilt said...

I've suffered similar performance issues in the past with BT until I moved house. Stick with it as it would be a shame to lose this blog.

Stewart said...

Ta for the support all...I've had an hour connection since Wednesday....