Monday, September 12, 2011

Good old BOU...

On perusing the Birdwatch Mag website today I find that the BOU have added two new lifers to my list.

Siberian Stonechat Saxicola maurus ( used to be maura?) Seen several, my first being at Newbiggin in Oct 1990 in a massive fall. Previously Saxicola torquatus maura/stejnegeri 'lumped' with Stonechat Saxicola torquata.

Hudsonian Whimbrel Numenius numenius  One seen on St Mary's Isles of Scilly in Sept 08 or 09? Previously this was the American race of Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus hudsonicus, lumped with Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus.

This brings my bird lists to -

BOU British 399 ( oh yes...what will it be, and mores to the point - when?)
Northumberland 325.

8 comments:

Ipin said...

Could well be a yank and could well be this week...Greater Yellowlegs?

Skev said...

That Sibe Stonechat decision puts me on 401. Who knows how long it will be before I bother twitching number 402.

Anonymous said...

That means the "Straight Lonnen" Stonechat is an armchair tick for moi.

Northumbrian Birding said...

Can only hope it is you that finds it Stewart ,but you will have to get up off your arse and get out !!!!!
Brian

Stringer said...

I remember avoiding a juv american golden plover for over a week on Scilly once because I didn't want it to be my 400th UK bird !!

Eventually I saw a grey cheeked thrush for my 400th, then quickly popped around and got the AGP for 401...

Have no idea what I am on now, that whole twitching thing sort of drifted away a bit ....

Warren Baker said...

Well whatever it turns out to be, lets hope it's a reall good un :-)

Stewart said...

Thanks for the comments chaps.
Iain - Good I'll look forward to that. Missed the carlisle one...

Mark - Rutland, this week....

Dean - Nice one...

Gary - American GP 400th! You must twitch far too much...

Warren - Yes me too. Caspian Gull doesn't fit the bill...

Stringer said...

Never bothered twitching AGP, just figured one day I'd bump into one.... just so happened I was on 399 when i did !