Thursday, September 29, 2011

Near Miss...

After Sunday's twitch north for the Sandhill Crane, imagine my face when Alan Priest called me this morning to say it had just flown over Newbiggin and was heading towards Blyth! Oh no, I thought, dejavue, Short billed Dowitcher scenario all over again...

Fortunately my fears did not materialise, our costly trip to Scotland had been worthwhile after all, the Crane continued its journey south.

I must be the only person in Northumberland who wished a county first would bugger off!

On the way home from work this evening 2 Little Egrets flew serenely up the River Coquet into Warkworth, keeping up speed with the car.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such are the vagaries of birding Stuart. I was on my way to St Marys,so began scanning the skies. Richard joined me and we saw it fly up from a field and head south .347 for the county.

Anonymous said...

Alan J. Forgot my identity in the exitement!

Stewart said...

Fantastic Alan, a massive county total! I didnt realise it had landed.
Thats another big blocker for you on the county list...

Anonymous said...

Hi ,yeah it was put on the pagers as probable ,appeared to land n. e. of the obelisk near Holywell.
Alan.

Unknown said...

Did you get the bird on the reserve or at the field? we may have crossed paths!

Alan J. said...

In flight only ,as it headed south from the field.
Alan J.