Sunday, February 12, 2012

Moles...

I forgot to mention this earlier. How common are Moles near you?

Up here in North Northumberland its unbelievable how abundant they are. Around Alnwick and everywhere else for that matter the landscape is pock marked with small mounds of excavated earth. Some of the best fields seen today had tens of thousands of hills in them. The land literally ploughed by the short sighted velveteen gentleman in black.

Some main road verges are demolished, and I cringe when I see the damage and imagine what people with manicured lawns must say.

In our garden we have one and about 10 of his hills. I dont hurt the Mole but I try and 'deter' him by sticking a garden fork or metal spike in the ground and hitting it with a trowel or something when I walk by to disturb his efforts...It usually works and moves him into the wood out of harms way.

Next time I'm out I'll try and get a pic of the most damaged areas....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cortonwood is rife with em, Stewart. Fortunately none of the village gardens are though. So they`re free from any blame regards ruining lawns.

Warren Baker said...

Not a common sight here Stewart, but a few mounds do appear occasionally. Make good feeding areas for the Thrushes :-)

Stewart said...

Hi chaps. Up here moles must be as common as voles! The whole place is littered. I must get some snaps next time out...