Monday, May 05, 2014

Dipped.

As news of a singing Western Bonelli's Warbler at Newbiggin was released, I was soon in the car and away, not knowing that my potential British tick had already gone. Well, not to worry there'll be another, and as a consolation, a self found Common Crane, flying south wasn't too bad.

Back home, a new visitor to the feeders today had me scratching my head...


At first, this Redpoll, a first summer male, looked like a Mealy when on the feeders. It had pale braces, and was quite large, but later scrutiny makes me think its just a Lesser now. Smaller bill, brownish tone etc. It will be going down in the notes as 'Redpoll 1fs' and thats that. Please excuse the pics, like the Lesser Whitethroat below, they're through the kitchen window...

I see that the first Northumberland Woodchat for 20 years has turned up at Druridge this afternoon. No rush for that one having seen the last one found by Dave Elliot at Hadston plus a few more around the country over the years. I'll call in to see if its around on my way to work in the morning...
  

No comments: