Thursday, April 20, 2017

Yesterday, a walk with Bunty to the pond field produced a patch tick for me, 2 drake Mandarins.

Mandarin Duck has occurred here before just not long enough for me to see it, so I was quite excited at seeing these two shiny lads skulking at the back of the pond. I have been along tonight to try and get a photo, but there was no sign. I wonder where these exotics go?

Last night was mild, calm and overcast ideal for moth trapping. This morning there were 55 moths of 13 species, including some other than the obligatory Orthosias...

Best was this first for the garden, Acleris literana, a nice pale mint green and black tortrix, only the 7th for VC68.

Nut Tree Tussock is always good to see and marks the way out of winter into the proper mothing season.

This Coxcomb Prominent was a surprise and is the earliest Northumberland record by 9 days.
   Today I was looking around Google for some more tips on moth photography and noticed that some of the first results of the search were hopeless. Photos of moths face on or from almost below, pics in pots etc...I think I'll do a post on here after I take a few set up shots of my methods.Its not rocket science!


No comments: