Monday, May 15, 2017

Another goodie...

And no I'm not on about Tim Brooke-Taylor, I am on about today's Red-rumped Swallow at Druridge Pools. Luckily its presence coincided with lunch time so I dashed along for a 20 minute sample then back to work, not bad! This is my 3rd for Northumberland, the last being on Holy Island back in 2000 so it was long overdue a revisit.

Cracking birds, Red rumps, they seem so much more exotic than our own Swallows. Dashing around in the lee of the baffle bank at Druridge with 50+ mixed hirundines, sometimes coming right up to the hide then vanishing for a minute or two before resuming its circuit. As I arrived back at work, ADMc found a second bird with this one, 2 Red rumps together is a red letter day!

What a good year we are having in the county...I think Northumberland is up there with the best. Imagine what would be found if we had as many birders as Norfolk?

Too wet for the camera, and I had forgotten my notebook so some rough lines were drawn on scrap paper as a reminder then these done back at home... 

1 comment:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

You ought to be selling these drawings!